The Basics: Foundation

by Casey B on 1/12/2011


Hey Everyone!

I am starting a new Series called “The Basics.” This is going to be a series of tutorials on, well, the basics when it comes to applying makeup. When I think of the basics, I think foundation, blush, mascara, eyeliner, highlight, concealer and even bronzer.

I have so many tutorials where I show you the eye makeup but now the face makeup to go with it. So this will pretty much be the default foundation routine for all my tutorials.



Foundation is used to create an even, uniform colour to the complexion to cover flaws and it can even be used to change the natural skin tone.

There is a range of coverage available in a variety of formulas.

Sheer coverage will not hide discolorations on the skin but it can minimize the contrast between the discoloration and the rest of the skin tone. It contains 8–13% pigment.

Light coverage can cover unevenness and slight blotchiness, but is not opaque enough to cover freckles. 13–18% pigment.

Medium coverage can, when set with a mineral powder, cover freckles, discolorations, blotchiness, and red marks left by pimples. It contains 18–23% pigment.

Full coverage is very opaque. It is sometimes referred to as “corrective” or “camouflage” make-up. In general it will contain up to 35% pigment, though professional brands, designed for use on stage, can contain up to 50% pigment.

Generally I like to choose something that has medium coverage in the Fall/Winter, but I prefer Light coverage in the summer because my skin is more even and toned thanks to Vitamin D from the Sun.
Right now I love the Annabelle SkinTrue line. Unfortunately for everyone except Canadians, it is only available in Canada.


Face
Annabelle SkinTrue Foundation – Natural Ivory
CoverGirl TruBlend Minerals – #405 – Translucent Fair – Loose Mineral Powder


Lips
MAC – Viva Glam – Gaga


Brushes






0 Response to 'The Basics: Foundation'

Post a Comment